Who knew mashed cauliflower could taste so good? A perfect alternative to potatoes for anyone looking for a little variety or trying to avoid nightshades.
Guess what? I sometimes miss mashed potatoes.
Let me re-phrase that… I used to miss mashed potatoes.
A few months ago, I discovered the magic of mashed CAULIFLOWER!! Have you ever tried it? It is amazing!
I actually prefer the light creaminess of this recipe to regular mashed potatoes.
Why Choose Cauliflower over Potatoes?
There are a few reasons to try this substitute over your regular white potatoes like:
- According to some doctors like Mercola, cauliflower should be considered a superfood it has so many benefits for your heart, your brain and your digestion.
- It is an anti-inflammatory food. Many people choose the Paleo diet to fight inflammation and leaky gut so this food will help!
- It is AIP-compliant. So even on one of the strictest versions of the Paleo diet, you can LOVE cauliflower mash!
Easy Mashed Cauliflower Recipe Instructions:
- Chop cauliflower florets off the base of the vegetable (I use two heads of cauliflower so we’ll have some leftovers).
- Place in a steamer over boiling water, and steam until the cauliflower is soft (around 7 minutes).
- Drain, and dump florets into a high-powered blender (you can do this with a hand mixer, food processor, etc., but I really believe that the secret to the smooth results I get (see picture above) is my Vita-Mix Blender).
- Add about 4 TBS of grass-fed butter or ghee per head of cauliflower, a dash of salt, and a dash of pepper. (Skip the butter or ghee and add a little coconut cream if you want it AIP-friendly!)
- Blend until smooth.
If you want a little more variety, try adding additional gluten-free, dairy-free spices like garlic powder, onion powder and maybe even a little fresh parsley. It will make a tasty new side dish for some of you favorite proteins.