I am a huge sucker for anything “pumpkinny.” Once the air starts getting a little cooler, I automatically start craving the smells and tastes of Fall! And what says “Fall” more than some delicious pumpkin recipe?
I always have a pumpkin candle burning this time of year, and sometimes I just want to drink it because it smells SO amazing! Since that probably wouldn’t taste as great as it smells, I’ve found lots of pumpkin recipes.
When I use pumpkin, I will admit that I usually buy a can of organic, pureed pumpkin. Be sure to look closely to ensure you don’t pick up “pumpkin pie filling,” as this product contains much more than just plain pumpkin!
However, if you would like to try making your own pumpkin puree, I applaud you! Just look for some “pie pumpkins” (usually a smaller, sweeter, smoother pumpkin than the typical jack-o-lantern pumpkins you see everywhere). Look for one that is firm and un-bruised. Cut the pumpkin in half, and scoop out the seeds. Next, you can either microwave it with about an inch of water for around 15-30 minutes, or steam it on the stove for about the same amount of time. With both methods, check frequently on the pumpkin’s softness. When it is soft enough to scoop out the flesh, it’s ready!
The pumpkin should separate easily from it’s skin. Use a table spoon to scrape it into a bowl – it will come out in large chunks. Finally, puree the meat to create a smooth consistency.
Here are some ideas to help you use as much pumpkin as possible this year!
(Note: most of these are treats, and should be treated as such… not consumed on a super-regular basis, and not over-eaten.)
2. Pumpkin Pie. I’ve made this recipe numerous times, especially over the holidays last year. It is absolutely delicious, and puts regular grocery-store pumpkin pies to shame! Click here.
3. Pumpkin Muffins. There are a TON of recipes out there for pumpkin muffins… here are a few of my faves: Paleo Pumpkin Muffins, Carrot Pumpkin Spice Muffins, Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins, and another using coconut flour.
4. Pumpkin Cookies. This recipe is yummy!
5. Pumpkin Spice Cake. The Food Lovers know how it’s done! Click here.
6. Pumpkin Custard. I haven’t tried this one yet, but it looks great! Click here.
7. Pumpkin Swirl Banana Bread. Click here.
8. Paleo Pumpkin Ice Cream. What could be yummier? Click here.
9. Pumpkin Smoothie. Just blend 1 banana, 1 C coconut milk, 3/4 C pumpkin puree, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg. Delish!
10. Sugar Detox Pumpkin Cake in a Mug. Again, haven’t tried this one, but it looks yummy!
11. Pumpkin Granola. I love this recipe!
12. Pumpkin Pie Espresso Hazelnut Butter. Haven’t tried it, but wow… I should. Click here.
13. Pumpkin Spice Latte. Used to be my favorite drink at Starbucks… now I can enjoy it without feeling disgusting afterward! Click here.
14. Pumpkin Chicken Chili. Oh yum! What a perfect meal on a cool Fall evening! Click here.
15. Bison Chili with Pumpkin. A new Paleo friend just told me about this recipe, and says that it’s delicious! I cannot wait to try it.
16. Creamy Pumpkin Curry. I love recipes from Everyday Paleo! Click here.
17. Pumpkin Cashew Coconut Curry. Looks tasty! Click here.
18. Paleo Pumpkin Bread. From Robb Wolf’s website… click here.
19. Ground Lamb and Pumpkin. So delish! Click here.
20. Pumpkin Soup. I love it! Click here.
Enjoy this lovely PUMPKIN season!