nav-left cat-right
cat-right

No-Egg Breakfast Ideas

No-Egg Breakfast Ideas

My husband and I have been taking a little break from eggs.  Now don’t get me wrong… we love eggs!  But we had gotten to a point where we were having them every single morning.  It is so convenient to pre-boil eggs, or to scramble some up quickly.  BUT, there are two problems with over-doing the eggs:

You will quickly get tired of them.  When you start thinking “I could probably go the rest of my life without seeing another egg,” you know you’re at a place where you need to take a break.  HAHA!

You can give yourself an egg allergy.  Did you know this?  I didn’t either, but I’ve heard it’s true.

(Note: This was just confirmed by Diane of Balanced Bites: “You can become sensitive to any food if you overdo it and your body is prone to it. It may not be a frank allergy, but an intolerance or sensitivity, sure.”  Thanks Diane!)

Our little break from eggs has been quite nice!  It’s been about a month since we’ve had eggs in our house, and we’re getting to the point where our egg appetites are returning.  For now, I think we’ll just keep enjoying some of our favorite non-egg breakfasts mentioned below.

1. Diced Chicken and a Smoothie – We love dicing chicken, sautéing it in coconut oil with a little salt and pepper, and just finger-fooding it.  Pair it with a coconut milk smoothie, and it’s a perfect, filling breakfast.

Make ahead: you can definitely do this the night before and pop it in the fridge.  Just re-heat the chicken in the morning, grab your smoothie from the fridge, and you’re good to go!

2. Breakfast Sausage and Sweet Potato – I love picking up some local, pastured pork sausage from my Farmer’s Market.  It is already spiced with sage, and several other ingredients.  I form them into patties, and cook them in coconut oil until they are no longer pink inside.  Pair with some buttered (grass-fed!) sweet potato, and you have an amazing combination!

Make ahead: I like to cook my sweet potatoes in the pressure cooker, and them mash them with a potato masher (imagine that!).  Add a little salt and lots of grass-fed butter, and then refrigerate.  In the morning, I like to cut up the sausages and heat them with the sweet potatoes.  SO good!

3. Bacon and….. Anything!  We love bacon.  Our favorite brand is Applegate Organics Sunday Bacon.  And guess what?  It goes with more than just eggs.  We usually pair it with some leftover veggies that have been hiding in the fridge from a recent dinner.

Make ahead: I have definitely cooked bacon the night before, and it is still almost as yummy re-heated the next morning.  However, my favorite way to enjoy bacon is to set my alarm 20 minutes early, run to the kitchen to toss the bacon in the oven, and then hop back in bed until it’s ready.  There is nothing like waking up to the smell (and taste!) of fresh-cooked bacon.

4. Leftovers!  Breakfast food does not have to be breakfast food.  Do yourself a favor and get over the notion that you can’t have Paleo Spaghetti, steaks, or beef stew for breakfast.  This morning I had leftover “secret liver burgers,” leftover swiss chard/onion saute, sauerkraut, homemade ketchup, and decaf coffee (with full-fat coconut milk and cinnamon). It was delicious and very filling!  Now I will admit… I’m not a big fan of super-spicy leftovers first thing in the morning, but other than that, I’m cool with leftovers!

Make ahead: No instructions needed here!

5. Primal Oatmeal – We love this recipe from Mark Sisson.  I’m taking a break from nuts right now as well, so this option is currently out for me, but it is oh-so-good!

Make ahead: This can also be made the night before!  Just pop it in the microwave with some extra coconut milk or almond milk, stir, and top with a little cinnamon.  It’s a nice, warm breakfast for cool, cozy mornings.

6. Garden MeatballsThese are perfect little breakfast packages.  They are made with grass-fed beef, and packed with veggies.  Pair with some sauerkraut, and you have a fantastic combination!

Make ahead: These are great pre-made, and even frozen ahead of time.  Pop them in a toaster oven for a quick re-heat.  YUM!

7. “Cereal”This is a yummy little breakfast, but I definitely recommend making it with coconut milk rather than almond milk.  You will get some good fat from the coconut milk, and it will be much more filling than a nut milk.

Make ahead: You can definitely chop your fruit and nuts the night before.  Then just pour the coconut milk in the morning, and enjoy!

Fantastic Breakfast Add-Ons:

Sauerkraut: This is a great way to consume some fermented food on a regular basis.  And in my opinion, it goes with just about everything.

Decaf Coffee: Brew your favorite blend, and then stir in a generous amount of full-fat coconut milk.  Top with cinnamon.  This is a wonderful, creamy, filling addition to any breakfast.

Bacon: Enough said. :)

26 Responses to “No-Egg Breakfast Ideas”

1. Jessica says:

These are great ideas! I’ve had to think outside the box during my pregnancy, as I have gestational diabetes AND we’re doing a rotation diet to see if we can avoid some of the food allergies that my son has. So mainly, I’m doing eggs and nuts, but every 4 days. And a lot of grains are out for breakfast, as they raise my blood sugar too much that early in the morning. I only have a few weeks left, but I’ll have to remember these!

Also, I was DYING laughing about waking up 20 minutes early and putting the bacon in and then going back to bed. That classic episode of The Office where Michael burns his foot on the George Foreman grill that was IN his bed because he liked to cook his bacon and snooze!!!

• Jennie says:

Jessica,

I have often thought about that episode of The Office while waiting for the bacon in the morning… HAHAHA! But I do keep the cooking in the kitchen. :)

I’m glad this post was helpful.

-Jennie

• Jeanne B. says:

I have ALL kinds of food allergies and eggs and soy are one of them…I miss eggs but can’t have them…I also have allergies to all seeds and nuts…I have a hard time finding things to eat…I eat the same things all the time…

2. Jess C. says:

Thank you for this! My daughter saw me cooking eggs and said, “Seriously mom…eggs?? MAKE SOMETHING ELSE!” This will definitely make things better for us :)

3. gaucoin says:

Decaf?

• Jennie says:

I’m not anti-caffeine… but it gives me the jitters, and I find that my breakfast gives me plenty of energy after a full night of good sleep. No caffeine needed.
      -Jennie

4. Sarah says:

Thanks Jennie! I’ve been getting tired of eating eggs lately too. I think I just need to think out of the box a bit and remember I don’t have to eat “breakfast foods” for breakfast. Thanks for sharing!!

5. Heba abdeen says:

That I exactly what happened to me. I overdid eggs, now my body cnt tolerate it any more.i ask myself what shall I have for breakfast every morning and ur article has given me some grt ideas. Thnx!

6. Christie B. says:

Since we raise hens for eggs, we take our breaks in the winter (when we only get 0-3 eggs a day). And not usually for a month. It’s usually just a week or two at a time. And we just don’t eat as many, since we don’t have as many (and store bought just don’t cut it; we’re too spoiled). In the spring, though, we eat eggs ALL THE TIME. And we still sell/give away a lot, too.

And by the way, the main issue with creating food sensitivities by eating a lot of a food, is with leaky gut. There’s not so much of a problem with that if you heal your gut, and also if you eat seasonally (we’re still working on that one here). It naturally creates “breaks” from foods.

7. Cathy says:

Thanks for sharing your ideas. Sweet potato and sausage is one of our favorite breakfasts. We put the sweet potatoes in the toaster oven while we are working out or out for a walk. They are especially good with a little coconut butter and cinnamon. Leftovers are always a hit too!

8. maggiemac says:

Thanks for the ideas. Sometimes I just need someone to “spoon feed” me alternatives to get me out of a rut.

9. Heather G says:

These are great ideas! Thanks so much for sharing them.

Speaking of sweet potatoes for breakfast, have you thought about a sweet potato hash! Here a link to one of my versions: http://vahuntergatherers.blogspot.com/2012/02/butternut-squash-and-white-sweet-potato.html?m=1

I have another version that actually includes 1 egg, but you could easily leave it out: http://vahuntergatherers.blogspot.com/2012/02/sweet-potato-and-egg-hash.html?m=1

I hope you enjoy!

~Heather

10. Dawn says:

I think since my husband sent me this, I should give it a whirl. My kids love eggs and never tire of them and I have tried a few different things (leftovers are a favourite) but I need to try more. Thanks for the tips!

11. Jennifer L. says:

My daughters are both egg-intolerant, so no eggs for us. I am happy to find this post because quite frankly, another day of sausage, sweet potato and salad will send me running from the house!

12. Robin says:

Thank you so much for these wonderful ideas. I did develop an allergy to eggs and I was eating them everyday (my husband nicknamed me egg-eater). It’s great to have so no egg options while on Whole30.

13. Laura says:

I read it as “grass-fed sweet potato”, cracked me up, cute mental picture.

14. Terrific! Been searching for exactly this , thanks for posting, paleo diet.

15. liese says:

Sooo…. Coconut milk [canned or carton?]

16. Mrs. Smith says:

My mouth absolutely started watering with the words “sausage and sweet potato”… I think there is an egg-less hash in my future. Thanks for the great ideas. Yummers!

17. Love these new ideas! My husband is definitely reaching the point where he is going to start throwing the eggs back at me if I make him an omelet for breakfast one more day. I know he will love the primal oatmeal & sausage/sweet potato combo.

18. Elese says:

Wow, thanks so much Jennie. Just discovered your blog and I’m loving it already! I overdid the eggs for a period of time and did develop an allergy–I knew it because I was feeling it affect me everytime I ate egg, so went back for another blood test and sure enough! Eggs showed up. And there was no egg allergy on my test several months before that. Bummer. :( So…great to have some other ideas. Just constantly trying to think of things to eat gets to be a drag sometimes, so thanks for the help and encouragement.

19. Sonya says:

Any suggestions for a paleo friendly egg-free protein powder? I want to start the paleo diet and have been researching it and haven’t come accross an alternative to the recommended egg white protein powders.

• Jennie says:

Hi Sonya,

I’m sorry… I don’t have any suggestions for you. I’m not a big fan of powdered food. Hope your Paleo transition is going well!

-Jennie

20. The Shooz says:

Love these ideas! I was just starting to think “how many eggs is it acceptable to eat in one week?”…great ideas!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. how do i include gluten-free/paleo options in my menus? | Frugal Local Kitchen - [...] No Egg Breakfast Ideas from Easy Paleo [...]
  2. fab paleo breakfasts! - Page 2 - [...] 14 Diet: Primal Eating & JUDDDHeight: 5ft5inStart Date: 13/08/2012Start Weight: 11st2lbCurrent Weight: 11st0lbGoal Weight: 9st10lbGoal Date: On-goingBMI Information:Start …
  3. 10 Tips to Make Your Whole 30 A Success - [...] that exact breakdown doesn’t work for you. Maybe you aren’t into eggs for breakfast or maybe you work nights. …
  4. how do i include gluten-free/paleo options in my menus? — A Life in Balance - [...] No Egg Breakfast Ideas from Easy Paleo [...]