nav-left cat-right
cat-right

Food Diary: UNSWEETENED Pumpkin Streusel Muffins

Food Diary: UNSWEETENED Pumpkin Streusel Muffins

**My variation is 21-Day Sugar Detox-friendly, and approved for MY OWN Whole30 (if you deal with cravings for baked goods and muffins, do not give in with these!  Those are not regular cravings for me, so I’m okay with these).**

On Saturday evening, my sister Katie posted a pumpkin muffin recipe on my Facebook wall (her pic above!).  She is on a Whole30 right now, so she omitted some ingredients and started baking!  I was inspired, so I decided to give them a try as well.  They were delicious!

While they are 100% Whole30-approved, they do contain pumpkin.  So if you are on the 21-Day Sugar Detox (level 3), they are on the “Limit” list.  They are perfect for a quick post-workout snack, but do not over-do it on these!

The original recipe is here, but check out my ultra-healthy variation below (changes in BOLD PRINT - I added some extra liquids to replace the date/water mixture)…

Paleo Pumpkin

Streusel Muffins

½ cup pumpkin puree

3/4 cup coconut oil, melted

4 tablespoons coconut milk

6 eggs

6 medjool dates, pitted and mashed with 1 tablespoon water and 1 tablespoon maple syrup)

1 tablespoon REAL vanilla extract

½ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon baking soda

1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice

½ cup coconut flour

Streusel

½ cup pecans, chopped

¼ cup almond meal/flour

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line muffin tin with paper liners or grease with coconut oil (I did not have liners, but my fantastic muffin pan released them perfectly).

In a small bowl, add pitted medjool dates and 1 tablespoon water.  Heat in microwave for 30 seconds on high.  Mash the dates with fork and add 1 tablespoon maple syrup and mash again.

In a bowl of a food processor combine date mixture, pumpkin puree, coconut oil (melted), coconut milk, eggs, vanilla extract, salt, baking soda, and pumpkin spice.  Process until well combined and the date mixture is pureed (I just used a hand-mixer).  Add coconut flour and process again until combine.

To make streusel, combine all ingredients and stir to combine.

Fill each muffin cup ¾ full of batter and top with streusel.  Bake muffins for 30 to 35 minutes.

_______________

These were really yummy… They are NOT sweet, but they have a good flavor, and are delicious warm!  I have made a few recipes for coconut flour muffins, and this recipe is definitely more moist and “muffinny.”

16 Responses to “Food Diary: UNSWEETENED Pumpkin Streusel Muffins”

1. Becky says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for these pympkin muffins! I am only on day 5 of the 21 Day Sugar Detox but these saved me! The first few days I was fine but day 3 & 4 I had some pretty strong cravings and decided to make these. They are amazing! So moist and crunchy the combination is unbelievable! (I think the pecan streusel tastes like the roasted pecans you can get at Christmas time!) This will be a staple for the next 16 days and even after!

2. These are in the oven! The recipe looks wonderful, though I kept in the dates – I’m a sucker for those darn dates!

3. Blaine says:

These look great. I’m going to make them in two weeks for a special brunch. Thanks for sharing!

4. Kristin W. says:

I love how you said MY whole 30. I stopped my whole 30 at day 20, not because I was struggling, I wasn’t in fact it was easy for me….I stopped because I was dropping weight too fast and could tell I was not getting enough calories despite eating until I was full and adding in 2-3 snacks. I now realize I should have done what you did, I have no “food issues” and already eat whole 30 about 90% of the time, so I could have made one of these and eaten it for a snack or breakfast and left the rest alone, I should have tailored the whole 30 to how am.

• Louise says:

What were you doing to drop weight too quickly?? I would love to have that issue!! Lol. I am turning over to a paleo lifestyle and love these easy recipes!! Can’t wait to make these muffins!! What are referring to regarding the 20 and 30?? I m seeking to become healthier and lose weight, and information would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks.
      Louise

5. Vickie McNees says:

Wow! Not baked an my 3 year old has already eaten three of them. They smell wonderful! Next time the little guy wants to add blueberries!

6. sharin says:

These look SO good. I have a silly question though. What are those crystals in the topping? Of course they’re not sugar, but they look just like it.

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I’m definitely going to Pin It!

7. Felicia says:

Since beginning my Paleo journey, I am finding that I don’t mind treats being less sweet because the flavors of Paleo treats are so amazing! I am looking forward to making these soon. I am only on day 2 of the 21-day sugar detox, and I want more time without a “sweet” treat.

8. Felicia says:

I made these tonight, but split the recipe in half. Whilst they are moist and look delicious, they are quite bland tasting. I wasn’t expecting sweet, but I was hoping for more flavor. Maybe I did something wrong. I’ll try one again tomorrow when not warm.

9. Jess says:

These…with a teaspoon of coconut butter…OMG!!! So good! Also, they smell amazing while baking!

I used only 1/4 cup coconut oil and upped the pumpkin to a cup. Still yummy!!

10. Cassandara says:

Does anyone know the calorie content??

11. Debra Curtiss says:

Do you think I could sub Sweet Potato for the pumpkin? These sound amazing, but Pumpkin is an issue for me.

• Katie Dickens says:

I definitely think that would work. It sounds delicious. If you try it, let me know how it turns out!