nav-left cat-right
cat-right

Paleo Hot Chocolate

Paleo Hot Chocolate

Tonight I had a craving for chocolate.  I really love chocolate, so this is nothing new.  I considered making a special trip to the grocery store just for chocolate.  Trying to talk myself out of it, I began looking through my cabinets.  Aha!  Cocoa powder!

What could I make with cocoa powder?

Hot chocolate came to mind, so I began my experiment.  After playing around with alot of different methods, I decided that this one is the best! I like mine very rich, so you might want to start with 1/2 the cocoa, and add more if you desire it.

Obviously, this kind of treat should not be an every-single-night experience, but it was just what I needed tonight!

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Paleo Hot Chocolate

Ingredients:

3 TBS Unsweetened Cocoa Powder

1/2 C Full-Fat Coconut Milk

1 C Boiling Water

1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract

1 TBS Organic Honey

1 tsp Cinnamon

Directions: Add cocoa to boiling water and stir with a fork until completely dissolved (this step is important if you do not want chunky hot chocolate).  Add cinnamon and honey to the hot mixture.  Finally, stir in the coconut milk and vanilla.  If necessary, heat for 30 seconds in the microwave for a steaming mug of chocolatey goodness!

I also tried pouring the mixture over a glass full of ice, and it was yummy!

26 Responses to “Paleo Hot Chocolate”

1. Bek says:

This was amazing! I thought it tasted like a Dark Chocolate Bounty. It’s very rich.

2. Amy says:

This is such a great recipe. My three year old son loves having ‘coffee’ with me, and I feel good knowing that it’s full of ingredients that are better for his little body.
    A big high five for this one

• Jennie says:

YAY! That’s awesome! This one is a favorite for me as well… and it’s been a while since I’ve made it. Thanks for the reminder. :)

-Jennie

3. Cathy says:

How much water am I dissolving the cocoa in?

4. Tennille says:

I can’t wait to try this. My kids love hot chocolate and since going Paleo I no longer buy the sugar-laden pre-mix stuff. I think they will love this! Now if they only made Paleo marshmallows :)

• Tristan says:

Just wanted to let you know, I have in fact seen recipes for paleo marshmallows. Google it, or use Pinterest.com and you should find several recipes. I even saw one for peppermint marshmallows!

5. Tristan says:

I’m going to make this cocoa right now, btw! Thanks for the recipe!

6. Candace says:

This is an awesome hot chocolate recipe! 9 year old approved!

• Jennie says:

Yay! Glad to hear it!
      -Jennie

• Manik says:

Banana Nut MuffinsMakes 6 Muffins2 TB Butter or Coconut Oil1 TB Vanilla Extract (technically not paleo but in such small amount won’t make or break it)1 Ripe Banana2 Eggs1/3 Cup Coconut Flour (Can find it at most Jewel sortes in the Organic Aisle. $3.99)handful of walnuts1 t baking sodaMelt butter or Coconut oilAdd VanillaHeat up banana so it is softenedCombine all ingredients with 2 eggsAdd in Coconut flour and walnutsStir until smooth free of lumpsAdd 1 t of baking soda.Spoon into non-stick, oiled, cupcake pan.Bake at 375 for 12 minutes or until tops are browned and you can stick a fork in the middle and it comes out clean of dough.So tasty you won’t even think you’re eating paleo Great for breakfast or a work snack!

7. Kristen says:

I just wanted to let you know I really enjoyed this recipe! I was actually surprised by the mellowness of it. I’m still at the point of getting away from this super-sweet culture we live in (I’m only about 60 days paleo), but what I enjoyed about this cocoa recipe was that it filled that craving without being an overload of sweetness. Thank you for sharing!

8. Steph says:

I live in a small community and can’t find coconut milk. Anyone tried it with Almond milk?

• Jennie says:

I think it would be great with almond milk! But maybe leave out the water, and replace with additional almond milk. I generally use the water to help the coconut milk not be so thick (which isn’t necessary with almond milk).

9. Aubrey says:

Today was a rainy stormy morning and I was dying for a nice mug of hot chocolate. This recipe is AWESOME! So chocoaltey and creamy! And I don’t have to feel bad because I’m not deviating from Paleo! Huzzah! Thanks so much for posting this!

10. Alexis says:

Oh wow…. just used coffee instead of water…. Delicious!!!!!!!!!!!

11. amanda says:

I really didn’t care for this hot chocolate. It seemed chalky. I know its not supposed to be super sweet but it was barely sweet at all. Now, I was out of honey so used agave instead. I also doubled the recipe. Did I do something wrong?

• Jennie says:

My suggestion would be to make it exactly as the recipe directs, and see what you think then. :) I’m not a fan of agave, and I’m not sure if anything would change if you double the recipe.
      -Jennie

• april says:

I just tried this and had the same issues as Amanda – chalky and barely sweet. I suspect the cause to be the cocoa I used (dark dutch cocoa), as I find when I make paleo brownies with it, it also tends to have a chalky texture. I had to dilute it with water/coconut milk and add more honey to make it palatable. I might also try a bit less cinnamon next time.

12. Erika says:

I absolutely love hot chocolate – will order it anywhere I go, so I’m super excited about trying this out:) but do you think regular milk will work just fine rather than coconut milk?

13. Rebecca says:

I made this this afternoon. I had to double the amount of honey, because my honey is a local, but especially dark and savory type of honey.
    I used the canned kind of coconut milk, and don’t regret it for a minute! It was so thick, I loved it.
    I also added a pinch of “real” salt, and cayenne pepper. This was a great addition to my rainy blue ridge mountain afternoon.
    Will do again.

14. Eunice says:

I felt it was kind of chalky, too. Not sure if I stirred it enough? I followed the recipe exactly.

15. Terri says:

This is SO very good! Thank you!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pareto Fitness | Work Smart on the Right Things - [...] 4. Make some hot cocoa for yourself and the kids. It just so happens that it has some benefits! …